- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large eggplant, skin removed, 1/2 inch dice
- 3 of any of the ripest red tomatoes you can find, diced
- 1 cup roughly chopped kalamata olives
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1 loaf of fresh bread (a French baguette or ciabatta works great here)
- SalterieOne Classic Sea Salt
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat.
- Add the diced onion and the garlic and sauté until onions are becoming translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggplant and the remaining 3 tbsp of olive oil and cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes until the eggplant is saturated with oil and cooked down somewhat.
- Add the diced tomatoes, kalamata olives and capers and cook, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes more. You really want these ingredients to be fully stirred in and warmed through before serving.
- Cut the bread into slices 1/4 inch thick. You can choose to use the bread as is or to brush with olive oil and toast in the oven for a few minutes - both ways are delicious! Whichever way you choose, once your bread is ready spoon the warm caponata onto the bread, sprinkle with Classic Sea Salt and serve!
Recipe by Danni Viafore @the.vegetarian.foodie