Smoked Salmon & Shitake Rice Pie
- 2 cups cooked sushi rice
- 5 oz sliced shitake mushrooms
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 TBSP coconut aminos
- 1 TBSP granulated sugar
- 1 tsp Duxbury Salt + more to taste
- 1 4 oz package of smoked salmon
- Cook the sushi rice according to package instructions.
- While the rice cooks, wash and pat dry the shiitake mushrooms. Heat the olive oil in a nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat then add the mushrooms to the pan. Sautee for a minute, stirring occasionally. Add the coconut aminos, sugar and salt. Sautee another two minutes. Remove from the heat.
- When the rice is ready, stir in the cooked shiitake mushrooms. Taste and add more salt if desired.
- Line the sides of a 9” springform cake pan with strips of parchment paper. Add the rice and mushroom mixture to the pan and press down with the back of a spoon or spatula until the rice is compact and even.
- Peel apart the smoked salmon and place pieces in a layer on top of the rice. Use pieces with long, flat sides around the edge of the cake pan and fill in the middle of the pie with the smaller pieces. Your goal is to fill as much of the top with salmon as possible so that very little rice is peeking through.
- Put a piece of parchment paper on top of the salmon layer and push down. Place a heavy bottomed pie dish on top of the paper for weight and move to the fridge to chill and set for at least one hour.
- When you are ready to serve, remove the pie from the fridge, release the springform pan and remove the parchment paper from around the sides. Use a sharp knife to cut and serve immediately.
Note: This can be served with a small dish of coconut aminos or soy sauce on the side.
Recipe by Danni Viafore @the.vegetarian.foodie
More from: Classic Sea Salt Main Dish