Stuffed Butternut Squash
2 Tbsp Olive oil
1 Large Carrot, peeled and diced
1 Celery stalk, diced
½ cup Red onion, finely chopped
3 Garlic cloves, minced
1 cup Wild rice, rinsed
2 cups Hale Bone Broth
1 cup Feta cheese
¼ cup Dried cranberries, loosely chopped
4 oz Baby spinach, loosely chopped
1 Tbsp Rosemary, finely chopped
1 tsp Sage, finely chopped
½ tsp Black pepper
1 tsp SalterieOne Winter Blend
1 medium Butternut squash
½ tsp SalterieOne Classic Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and spoon out seeds. Liberally coat all sides with olive oil, season with SalterieOne Classic Sea Salt, and lay face down in the middle of a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake squash until tender, for 30-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large dutch oven, heat 1 Tbsp oil over medium heat until it shimmers.
- Add carrot, celery, onion, and garlic and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add rice and broth, cover, and let simmer until rice is cooked and broth is absorbed, about 18 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in feta, cranberries, spinach, rosemary, sage, SalterieOne Winter Blend, and pepper. Cover and set aside.
- When the squash is done baking, remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Scoop most of the flesh from the inside and incorporate into the rice mixture.
- Firmly pack the mixture into each half of the squash and place back on the baking tray.
- Drizzle both sides with additional oil and season with SalterieOne Classic Sea Salt
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes until the stuffing is warmed through and serve.
- When scooping the squash, leave a thin rim of flesh behind to help the squash keep its shape.
- Have leftover stuffing? Warm it up the next day and serve with a fried egg on top for a delicious fall brunch!
- If you have room in your oven, broil the squash for a minute or two to brown the stuffing and give it a nice crunch.
- Need to make this vegetarian? Simply substitute vegetable broth for the bone broth.
Photography credit: Stephanie O’Neill
More from: Classic Sea Salt Main Dish Side Dish Winter Blend